TRANSversal key competences for lifelong learning
Our first TRANSIt Summer School entitled “TRANSversal key competences for lifelong learning” will take place next July in Crete, Greece (30/6-5/7/2013).The aim of the course taking place in the context of the project “TRANSIt: Training teachers in competence based education” is to have a positive impact on the development of students’ transversal competences, creativity, collaboration, and effective communication skills by promoting the use of real world authentic learning activities by immersing participating teachers in the process of resource based approaches via their interaction with a unique collection of open educational resources (OER). Throughout the duration of the course teachers will be handled in three different modes:
a) as learners participating in authentic learning activities;
b) as teachers implementing and assessing competence based/holistic approaches in their classes;
c) as researchers collecting, examining and interpreting data about their practice and their students’ learning.
Participants will be provided with strategies that promote competence acquisition and student-centered learning, which they will be given the opportunity to modify accordingly. Participants will have the opportunity to be exposed to a number of training techniques such as: lectures, discussion, project teams, brainstorming, role playing, and case studies enabling them to collaborate and learn from each other. Additionally, visits both physical and virtual (3D) and field work in the monuments/museums, such as Knossos Palace, the Heraklion Archaeological Museum, and the Museum of Visual Art of Heraklion will introduce participants to innovative ways for creating links between schools, heritage providers, and informal learning settings. Participants will be introduced to the use of PDAs for enhancing the learning experience in museums, and of social tagging techniques for describing educational resources. Teachers will also participate in hands-on sessions, such as with technology enhanced manipulatives that promote competences & reflect on how these could be assessed.
Participation in this event is funded by the European Commission through the Comenius and Grundtvig programmes: therefore interested teachers or trainers can simply contact their relevant National Agency. The list of eligible countries (EU ones plus Turkey, Croatia, FYROM) and the contact details of the National Agencies can be found here:
The deadline for applications is January 16th, 2013. So we strongly suggest that:
(a) You ask the members of your teams that are working with the learning design and implementation of learning scenarios to apply for Comenius (for school staff) and Grundtvig (for university/adult training staff) funding through your National Agencies, so that they can participate in the Summer School.
(b) You forward this opportunity to contacts that could be interested (e.g. external institutions with which you are already working on learning design activities), letting them know about this training opportunity and inviting them to apply for funding. We would particularly encourage the participation of teachers/trainers that have been involved in the past in one or more of the project workshops.
1. Contact your own National Agency to obtain information on the grant application procedures and to check the deadline for submitting your application. National Agency contact details can be found at: http://ec.europa.eu/education/programmes/llp/national_en.html
2. Once you have selected the training event http://ec.europa.eu/education/trainingdatabase/index.cfm?fuseaction=DisplayCourse&cid=31639,
contact the training organiser to check that places are still available. You may need to enclose confirmation of your provisional registration for the training with your grant application.
3. Send your grant application form to your National Agency following the defined application procedure.
4. Your National Agency will inform you if you have been awarded a grant, normally 7-10 weeks after the application deadline.
5. You should then immediately contact the training provider to formally register for the course or to confirm your pre-registration. If you have not been awarded a grant but made a pre-registration, it is your responsibility to cancel this.
6. From the moment your National Agency confirms that you have been awarded a grant, you have responsibilities towards the training provider. If you cancel your attendance at the event, you will be responsible for paying any cancellation fees which the training provider may claim. Only in very exceptional cases of force majeure (e.g. serious illness or death of the grant applicant or a family member) may your National Agency pay cancellation fees using grant money.
7. If the training organiser cancels the training at short notice, you may ask him/her for compensation if you have already incurred costs. Neither your National Agency nor the European Commission can be liable. However, in justified cases your National Agency may decide to cover these costs using the grant awarded. If your training event is cancelled, your National Agency may give you the opportunity to select another one (contact your Agency for further details).
8. At the end of the training event, the organisers must hold an evaluation session. Your opinion on the quality of the training is important; training which is considered to be of poor quality can be further investigated by the National Agency.
9. At the end of the training event, the organisers should distribute a course attendance certificate, which is proof of having carried out the training activity.
10. Within 30 calendar days after the end of the activity you must send the Final Report to your Agency. Approval of the Final Report is the basis for formal settlement of the awarded grant. The Final Report form is downloadable from your Agency's website.
For any further information please contact us:
Mrs. Katerina Riviou (email@example.com)
Research & Development Department
of Ellinogermaniki Agogi
Dimitriou Panagea str
15351, Pallini Attikis, Greece
Tel: +30 210 8176791
Fax: +30 210 6032554