New external website goes live 10 December
The first part of the new website will go live on 10 December. This includes the homepage, the faculty websites and the sections About us, Research, Academic Staff, and News and Calendar. The following are some questions and answers about the new site.
The new website will be launched in stages. The first of the new sections, primarily sites aimed at external visitors, will be launched on 10 December. These are the more general pages about the University, about research, the websites of the faculties and institutes, and the profile pages of all our academics and other staff members. The News and Calendar sections are also new. The internal sites for staff and students are not being renewed yet; they will be updated in the course of 2016. The other parts of the external site, including Education and Student Recruitment, the University Libraries, Alumni and Working at the University, will follow after this.
As it too big an undertaking to renew the complete site, we have opted for an approach in stages.
Staff and students can click on a link at the top right on the new homepage, just as now, to go to the staff site and the student site. You can also click through to the existing pages for staff and students from the new homepage of your faculty.
- You will notice straight away that the site has a new layout and navigation. The new site has been designed to be compatible with all screen formats so it will also look good on your tablet or smartphone. The search function has also been improved.
- On each page you will find information related to the content of that page: on the page of a researcher, for example, you will find a link to the research and teaching in which he or she is involved (and vice versa). This means that the content of the website is accessible via different routes, which makes it easier for visitors to put the different elements in a broader context.
- Links to the research and teaching programmes in which you are involved can be shown on your profile page.
- Just as with the old site, your personal details are taken from the SAP-HR staff information system. One thing that is new is that the first name and family name of all staff are now indicated. If you name is not shown correctly, you can alter this yourself via SAP Self Service (modify ‘Personal details’).
- Just as with the old site, your publications are taken from LUCRIS.
- Your name is linked to keywords that indicate your expertise. If you wish, you can ask the web editor of your faculty or institute to add or modify the keywords attached to your profile.
- If you wish, you can also include links to a weblog or to social media, such as LinkedIn, Facebook of Twitter.
The new website has been designed to be compatible with modern browsers. If you are visiting the website from home via Remote Desktop, the site will not look as it should because an older version of Internet Explorer is being used. The ISSC will shortly offer a newer browser (Internet Explorer 11) in Remote Desktop.
You can contact the senior editor at your faculty for information on the faculty site, your personal profile page or the site of your institute. For the homepage, About Us, News and Calendar sections, you can send a mail to email@example.com.
Have you got a question that’s not covered above?
If so, you can send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be happy to answer your query! Tips and comments are also welcome.