Week of Diversity 10 - 14 October
During the Week of Diversity from 10 to 14 October, Leiden University will showcase its diverse international and multicultural character. The programme includes symposia, films, discussions and workshops. All students and staff are welcome to listen, taste, experience, and to join the discussions and social events.
Prof. Simone Buitendijk, Vice-Rector Magnificus, opens the Week of Diversity at a symposium on Monday 10 October. During the opening she will announce the winning photo of the diversity competition for students. Photos taken by students for the competition will be displayed in the Lipsius, Kamerlingh Onnes, Pieter de la Court and Gorlaeus buildings and in Plexus Student Centre during this week. Also in this week, visitors of the various University restaurants can enjoy food inspired by menus from far and wide.
In the trailer video for the Week of Diversity Buitendijk explains why diversity is so important at Leiden University diversity: ‘With diversity I think of a university that’s at the centre of society and that wants diversity to be a key element of its student and staff population.’
Events especially interesting for international students and staff (where the language for the event will be English or English and Dutch)
· Swimming and water polo
· Opening International House
· Lecture on political parties
· Fashion show featuring sub-cultures
· International drinks party at Faculty of Science
· Beer tasting at Catena
· Lectures and discussion on discrimination and legislation relating to LGBT (Lesbians, Gays, Bisexuals en Transgender)
· The University restaurants will be serving food from all corners of the world
· Photo exhibition with photos from students on the theme of diversity