Complaints procedure for students of Psychology

If you have a complaint, how should you deal with it?

1. Lecturer/study co-ordinator

If you have any subject-related comments, suggestions, complaints or disagreements relating to a decision by a lecturer, the best approach is to first discuss it with the relevant lecturer. If this does not resolve the issue, you can approach the study co-ordinator.

2. Departmental Committee/Board of Examiners/Confidential Adviser/ Institute Board/University Ombuds Officer

If it is not possible to discuss your complaint with the relevant lecturer, or if no solution is found, there are a number of alternative avenues for you to explore, depending on the nature of your complaint:

Does your complaint relate to a teaching issue?
If so, you should approach a student member of the departmental committees (Departmental Bachelor’s Committee or Departmental Master’s Committee) .

Does your complaint relate to a decision (such as the period for marking papers or exemptions)?
If so, submit your complaint in writing to the Board of Examiners.

Does your complaint refer to the grading of your course work?
Sent your written complaint to the Examination Appeal Board with a copy to the Board of Examiners of the Institute of Psychology.

Does your complaint relate to an incident of sexual intimidation, bullying at work or in your study, aggression, violence or discrimination? 
Contact the University Ombuds Officer or a Confidential counsellor.

Do you dispute a particular regulation or if you feel you have been treated improperly by a member of staff or a University body?
Contact the (student member of the) Board of the Institute of Psychology.

Have you been treated improperly by a member of staff or by an administrative body of the University and would you prefer not to discuss this with the Board of the Institute?
If so, you can contact the University Ombuds Officer. This person has an independent position within the University and is under obligation of secrecy, so that your confidentiality will be guaranteed.

3. Appeal procedures

If your problem is not resolved by means of the procedures mentioned above, you have the option of lodging an appeal.

If you are unable to reach a settlement relating to a decision that affects your interests, you can, within the term stipulated for appeals and objections, lodge an appeal with the Examination Appeals Board against:
- a negative binding study recommendation
- decisions by the Board of Examiners relating to the number of study credits obtained in an academic year and relating to passing a final examination
- decisions by the Board of Examiners relating to registering for examinations
- decisions taken on the grounds of supplementary investigation in the case of deficiencies
-decisions by the Board of Examiners and by individual examiners (exemptions, assessments, etc.)
-decisions by colloquium doctum committees (University entrance test for applicants who do not have a relevantniversity qualification)
-decisions by the Board of Examiners relating to admission to programmes.

If you are affected directly by a decision by a University body and it is not possible to lodge an appeal with the Examination Appeals Board, you can lodge an internal appeal via the Appeals and Objections Committee.
If it is possible to lodge an internal appeal, this should be mentioned on the relevant decision. You are required to submit a letter of appeal within 6 weeks of the date of receipt of the decision. For students this regulation relates mainly to decisions taken by the Examination Appeals Board with regard to enrolment and deregistration, reimbursement of tuition fees and awarding of grants from the ‘Regulation on Financial Support to Students 2000’.

For further information on appeals procedures, please refer to legal protection.

4. Regulations

There are several regulations to which students can refer. Please read these carefully before submitting an appeal so that you are fully aware of your rights and obligations.

Disclaimer: No legal rights can be obtained from this procedural plan.

Last Modified: 15-08-2016